World Space Week, observed annually from October 4 to 10, revolves around a theme determined by the UN General Assembly. In Thiruvananthapuram, organizations such as VSSC, LPSC, IIST, and IISU collaborate to orchestrate WSW celebrations, aiming to disseminate knowledge about space technology and engage with students across Kerala. The event features a range of activities including competitions, lectures, and talk shows tailored for the educational and general public communities.
History of World Space Week 2023
World Space Week was established following a resolution passed by the UN General Assembly on December 6, 1999. It serves as a tribute to the significant contributions of space science and technology in enhancing the human condition.
- October 4, 1957, holds great significance as it commemorates the launch of Sputnik 1 by the Soviet Union, the inaugural human-made Earth satellite. This momentous event marked the onset of the Space Age and ignited the initial Space Race.
- October 10, 1967, this date marks the enforcement of the United Nations’ ‘Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Peaceful Uses of Outer Space.’ This treaty underscores the significance of conducting space activities in a peaceful and cooperative manner. It witnessed the signing of a treaty affirming the peaceful use of Outer Space, encompassing celestial bodies like the Moon.
- As a result, individuals from across the globe join in commemorating this week-long celebration annually, spanning from October 4 to October 10.
Space science and technology, along with their practical applications, are playing an increasingly vital role in supporting various activities within the United Nations. More than 25 United Nations entities and the World Bank Group regularly utilize space applications, providing significant and at times indispensable contributions to the organization’s endeavors. This includes the implementation of recommendations from major global conferences and those of the Third United Nations Conference on the Exploration and Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UNISPACE III), as well as contributing to sustainable development efforts.
Therefore, it is crucial to have coordination, collaboration, and synergy within the United Nations system to effectively carry out these activities. The annual sessions of the Inter-Agency Meeting on Outer Space Activities serve as the primary platform for achieving this synergy. Since 2004, the effectiveness of this Meeting has been further strengthened by organizing an open informal session immediately following its conclusion.
This provides an opportunity to directly engage Member States in informal discussions about significant space-related developments within the United Nations system. The agenda of the Inter-Agency Meeting is reassessed during each session to align with current operational requirements.
Who Organises the World Space Week?
The organisation or coordination of World Space Week is being taken care by two primary entities:
- UN Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (COPUOS): COPUOS holds a pivotal role in planning and overseeing the events and initiatives held throughout WSW.
- UN Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA): UNOOSA takes charge of orchestrating and facilitating the worldwide implementation of WSW. They ensure that the celebration engages a wide range of audiences across the globe.
World Space Week Significance
Annually, a multitude of individuals worldwide engage in the global festivities dedicated to recognizing advancements in science and technology. Throughout World Space Week, various educational initiatives centered on space-related subjects, including webinars and outreach programs, are orchestrated by schools, museums, aerospace institutions, and space agencies.
The principal objective of these initiatives is to deliberate on the advantages humanity has reaped from ventures into space. Additionally, this week serves as an opportunity to advocate for the expanded utilization of space for environmentally sound economic progress and to inspire young minds to take an interest in space exploration. The image shows the worldwide celebration of the World Space Week
World Space Week 2023 Theme
Each year, World Space Week is marked by a designated theme chosen by the World Space Week Association. The theme for World Space Week 2023 is “Space and Entrepreneurship,” focusing on the dynamic landscape of the commercial space sector and its increasing impact on humanity.
Key elements of this theme encompass:
- Commercial Space Industry: Acknowledging the growing importance of business enterprises in space exploration and technological advancement.
- Entrepreneurial Prospects: Shedding light on opportunities for space entrepreneurship, including the development of compact satellites and inventive data products.
- STEM Education: Underlining WSW’s role in motivating students to pursue education in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) as well as business studies, equipping them for careers in the expanding commercial space sector.
- Transitioning to an Entrepreneurial Environment: Encouraging conversations on the transformation of Low Earth Orbit into a more business-driven ecosystem, where private companies take on a substantial role.
In conclusion, World Space Week provides a global platform to commemorate the marvels of space science and technology while fostering cooperation and inspiring forthcoming generations. The theme for 2023, “Space and Entrepreneurship,” mirrors the evolving landscape of space exploration and the escalating influence of entrepreneurship in shaping our future in space.
ISRO on World Space Week
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) plays a pivotal role in the global celebration of World Space Week (WSW), contributing significantly to the advancements and achievements in space science and technology. ISRO actively participates in World Space Week, commemorating the significant milestones and contributions of space science and technology. The organization’s involvement serves as a testament to its dedication to the peaceful exploration and use of outer space.
ISRO utilizes World Space Week as a platform to enhance public awareness about space-related endeavors. Through various initiatives, including educational programs, workshops, and outreach activities, ISRO seeks to inspire and educate the youth about the wonders of space exploration. During World Space Week, ISRO showcases India’s remarkable achievements in space technology. These accomplishments range from successful satellite launches to groundbreaking missions like Chandrayaan and Mangalyaan, which have earned global recognition and admiration.
Events Organised by ISRO
The events organised by ISRO is classified into 2 categories as – Event for Students and Events for Public as provided below:
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the theme for World Space Week 2023?
The theme of World Space Week 2023 is Space and Entrepreneurship.
2. Why is October 4th space week?
Because of the launch of the first human-made Earth satellite, Sputnik 1, on October 4, 1957
3. How is Space Week celebrated?
Various space-related exercises are led by space agencies throughout the week, planetariums, museums, corporations, educational foundations and astronomy lovers.
4. What are the topics for World Space Week?
The theme of Space Week 2023 is ‘Space and Entrepreneurship. ‘ This theme aims to start a conversation and raise awareness about the growing commercial space industry and the impact that it will have on space science and its advancements.